How do we set our son, Knightly, up for success?
New school year, new teacher, new therapists, new teams. At any given time, Knightly has up to 30 different educators, therapists, and medical professionals working with him. So over the years, we’ve compiled the best of the best of their wisdom and our experience of how Knightly thrives.
So in honor of the new school year and with distance learning, we’d like to share with you how we’ve learned…from literally hundreds of people…how to set Knightly up for success.
Introducing our latest episode:
VIDEO TABLE OF CONTENTS
- THE PREP (00:49)
- Believe He Can (00:50)
- Have Activities Ready to Go (00:59)
- Prepare Visuals (Visual Schedule, Timer, Instructions, Token Boards) (01:15)
- Set Up the Technology (AAC, Writing Wizard) (03:12)
- Ready the Reinforcers (04:04)
- Keep Clutter Free (04:29)
- THE MAIN EVENT: DURING SESSION (04:42)
- Have Fun! (04:44)
- Prime Him! (05:04)
- Assess Preferences (05:21)
- Give Short and Simple Directions (05:28)
- Build Confidence (04:42)
- Help Him Feel Successful (05:40)
- Don’t Force Verbal Expression. Use Receptive Expression Instead. (06:08)
- Model…Don’t Correct (06:34)
- Teach…Don’t Test (07:06)
- Plan Movement Breaks (07:34)
- Prepare for Transitions (07:50)
- Build Routine (08:12)
- To Stop a Behavior (08:22)
- Praise Good Behavior (08:44)
- AFTER THE SESSION (08:59)
- Reach Out for Help (09:00)
- Know the Great Resources (09:07)
- Celebrate (09:23)
- IN CONCLUSION (09:38)
Does it work 100% of the time? Lord, no. Knightly has his off days. He gets sick. Some days, he’s crying. Some days, I’m crying.
But these techniques helped us last semester get Knightly to do every assignment given out to his General Education class to all his neurotypical peers. And for that, we’re grateful…for all the wisdom and lessons learned that got us to this point.
And we’re grateful for the opportunity to learn him more every day because Knightly’s worth it.
He’s teaching me everyday how to set myself up for success.
What helps set you or your kiddos up for success?
Leave a comment below. Share the wealth!